The Nun Study and Stories of the Past

Last week I wrote about my Great Aunt - Sister Nicolette Welter. She was a sister of my Grandmother. Sr. Nicolette died at the age of 102 years.

I want to share an article about the Nun Study that Dr. Snowdon continues to do on Alzheimer research.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/07/health/07NUNS.html?pagewanted=all

and

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14132631

I have 4 Great Aunts that were Nuns and all of them are in the study.
You will see Sister Nicolette Welter, Sister Mary Ursela Welter, Sister Stella Welter and Sister Claverine Welter all mentioned in the article.

I want to share a couple wonderful stories about them too.

These are stories that they told me, some of which my grandmother had shared parts of also.

They also had one other sister who died at the age of 100 (never married) and 4 brothers that died much younger. (The 11th sibling - a girl, mentioned in the article - well, that is a story for another time. A story that deserves a spot all to itself.)

Anyway, back to this story.....

I was visiting them at Mankato one day and we were talking to Sr. Mary Ursela. Ursela is the one that did develop Alzheimer symptoms. Sisters Claverine and Nicolette were always coaxing Sister Mary Ursela to remember things. (Sister Stella at this time had already passed away. Stella had a stroke and suffered for a few years before dieing, but died gracefully.)

Sister Mary Ursela was always my favorite as a child. She was always mild and gentle, much like Nicolette. Claverine and Stella could give you the evil eye and you immediately knew to shape up! Much to my surprise as I grew older, this was just a tactic of wonderful teachers to keep students in line. They were not the evil nuns I thought they were!

The coaxing paid off the day I was visiting. Sister Mary Ursela was remembering her childhood vividly. It was wonderful to listen to her quiet voice talk about the apple orchard. She was telling us about a time she went in and was picking apples and eating them after her father had told her not to. She remembered how angry he was. They had a store in New Market and their father was a prominent figure in the town with the Post Office there as well.

She talked about daddy being very angry at her and disciplining her, but conveyed the deep love and tender punishment.

My Grandmother had told me a few stories as well about her childhood. One of my favorites was when Grandma went out to the barn and found toys in the carriage for Christmas. She went and got the other children and showed them. Her father told the children that St. Nic had left them there for a quick and easy delivery on Christmas morning.

Much to my Grandma's surprise, the other children all had toys under the tree - except for her. She got nothing that year. There was never a word spoken, just a gentle punishment that she understood.

She also told me a story about when her Father went to California on business. It was at the time of the gold rush. He brought her back a gold coin the was stamped. It was rather like a heated up piece with a stamped impression on it. She showed it to me once. They were all very happy with their family and up bringing. They were raised in a good Catholic home and adored their parents.

Grandma also told me about when she was a child and had appendicitis. They did surgery on her to find her appendix had burst inside of a tumor.

She also told me of a story of the ship ride coming to America of her Father. He was a young boy and got very sick on the trip. They all thought he died. He was wrapped up to be thrown overboard for a burial at sea and he wiggled! Thanks to God for that wiggle and thanks for Grandma's tumor!

They all had pictures of their parents always in viewing distance.

Thank you God for giving me the time to spend with and know my family. I will always treasure tender memories.