Tis the Season



Wow ~ This year has flown by for me. The advent season starts already tomorrow and Christmas will be here soon and then a new year.

I need to say that I got up to go shopping at 3:30am on Black Friday. Most of the people I came in contact with were very nice. Everyone is just looking to make Christmas special and save some money at the same time.

I don't like shopping with crowds like that though. It is very hard to move. Fortunately, I didn't need much and was lucky to get what I wanted to get.
I try to have all the bustle over when Advent starts so that I can enjoy this season and enjoy preparing for the birthday of our Lord.

It is important to remember that is what it is ~ it is the Birthday of Jesus. I love the saying; "Jesus is the Reason for the Season".

I like the old, traditional candy canes because they have meaning. My children have always wanted to get the different color and tasting candy canes, I let them on occasion, but I tend to make sure that they know the story of the candy cane and why the red striped ones are important to me. Here is the story:
A Candy Maker’s Witness ~ (found online)

"A candy maker in Indiana wanted to make a candy that would be a witness, so he made the Christmas candy cane. He incorporated several symbol for the birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ.
He began with a stick of pure white, hard candy. White to symbolize the Virgin Birth and the sinless nature of Jesus; and hard to symbolize the Solid Rock, the foundation of the church and firmness of the promises of God.
The candy maker made the candy in the form of a “J” to represent the precious name of Jesus, who came to earth as our Savior. It could also represent the staff of the “Good Shepherd” with which he reaches down into the world.
Thinking that the candy was somewhat plain, the candy maker stained it with red stripes. He used three small stripes to show the stripes of the scourging Jesus received by which we are healed. The large red stripe was for the blood shed by Christ.
In years to come the candy became known only as a candy cane – a meaningless decoration. But the meaning is still there for those who know. I pray that this symbol will again be used to witness TO THE WONDER OF JESUS AND HIS GREAT LOVE that came down at Christmas."



I also like to say "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays". Christmas is why it is a holiday!