We Falter, He Forgives

This morning I had a situation with my 18 year old daughter. She pulled a fast one on me. She told me she was going to her sisters house last night because she had to babysit for them this morning. At 6:30 am, my daughter who's house she was supposed to be at is calling me and telling me she can't get a hold of her sister and she was expected by 6:15 to babysit - she's not answering her phone.

Half asleep I said, "She went to your house last night...??? didn't she?" Well, I find out that she knew that her sister wasn't coming to her house and knew she went to Rochester instead but that she had promised the night before that she would be to her house by 6am.

Didn't happen. At this point, I am not quite sure what is going on but I knew Tina had to get to work because she is an RN - so I hopped in the car after packing a quick bag - forgot my toothbrush, not a good way to start the day - and drove to Farmington to watch the kids so she could leave for work.

I started calling everyone I could think of that may know where she was. No luck. Then panic set in! I knew she had met a new friend that stays in Rochester during the school week. I didn't know her phone number or where she lived. I had friends in Rochester looking for her. Her boyfriend didn't even know where she was.

Finally after prayers and panic - I called the Rochester police about 8am to have them look for her car. I am a mom, that's what we do - worry.

Of course at 8:15 she called me crying.... she had stayed up too late and over slept... a few other details I won't mention. I asked her if she was okay to drive - "yep", "Did you get assaulted?" "no" "Then get up here so I can get to work". I didn't want to listen to anything she had to say at that point. I was relieved to hear her voice but numb that she did something like this. This just wasn't like her.

I called the police and told them she was safe to stop the search.

I have 7 children, this is the first time I had to call the police... is that a good thing? or a bad thing? I am very mixed up emotionally.

She came in the door, I turned my grandchildren over to her and I left. I just told her I would discuss it with her tonight. I was afraid that if I started, it would turn into a shouting match.

I just thank God that she is fine and when I am not so angry at her, I will have the chance to hug her again.

Needless to say, she will be grounded. I haven't decided what the penalty will be yet - but I have time before she gets home tonight - she will be babysitting late.

She will be forgiven by me (punished, but forgiven). Do I still love her? Of course I do. That is unconditional love. The same love that God has for us - we falter and he forgives. Amen.