"Do You Really Love Me? Jesus Said to Peter

"Do you really love me?" Jesus said again...
John 21:15-17
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."

He then said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep."

He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (Jesus) said to him, "Feed my sheep.


Many scholars have said that Jesus asks Peter three times whether he loves him, most likely is meant to represent the reconciliation that occurred between the community represented by John's Gospel with the larger Christian community represented by Peter.

I think they read into it too much, it is much simpler than that....

I feel that it is Jesus asking Peter 3 times - the same number of times that Peter denied Jesus when our Lord was arrested - to signify the reconciliation of Peter and Jesus. Also to give Peter instructions on how to teach the new flock - the sheep, and show Peter the way to reconciliation for all of us - the lambs.

He was letting Peter know that forgiveness is a gift and that the new Priests need to extend it to the whole world. The Apostles needed to be the first teachers of the flock and set an example of leadership for centuries to follow.

Three times is also a symbol showing that Jesus is a part of the Trinity - It was God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit asking Peter.