The Prodigal Son

The Prodigal Son
Put yourself in the eldest sons position. I have done this many times and I can understand his anger and confusion. Many people live their life following the teachings of the church and try to do what is right. We need to remember that God forgives us for everything if we are truly sorry and want his forgiveness.

Some people go through life not knowing Christ. If they don't know they are doing wrong and then realize and want to come to Him, they are welcomed back. Jesus is the Good Shepherd and will always look for his lost sheep and welcome them back like the Prodigal Son. We need to rejoice at this.

I have a brother that is bi-polar/schizophrenic and is only 40 years old. It came on hard when he was 29 years old and he is now in a home. I would get angry at my mother for giving him everything he wanted. She was hurting him by being an enabler. I would tell her not to give him money because he would use it for drugs but she always did. I never understood why. She loved him unconditionally and couldn't help but give him what he asked her for.

When I hear the story of the Prodigal Son, it reminds me of my mother, brother and myself. I am like the older brother looking in and seeing the younger brother who threw so much of my mothers income away on drugs, yet he was always being taken care of. The pain of seeing him "dead" was always there for my mother. She would truly rejoice if his mental illness was gone and he was "alive" again.

We sometimes don't understand the significance of the "party" that the father gave the younger son. When someone is lost and is found, or dead and then alive, we should celebrate.

I would celebrate if my brother could have his mental health back. I would be the first one to roast a hog and have a party. I sometimes think of how young he is and what his life is like. I see his two children struggling with his illness. I miss him.

I think the older brother forgave his younger brother and celebrated with having him back. It may have taken him longer to forgive his Father, but I like to think that he forgave his Father too! We can all finish Jesus' story of the Prodigal Son - sometimes by examples in our own lives.


The Parable of the Lost Son
Luke 15:11-32
11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.

13 "Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 "When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.' 20 So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25 "Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31 " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "